July 22, 2009

Roskilde Festival 2009

Tuesday June 30 Around 20?: Got my tent up for safety as I didn’t know if I was gonna make it back to Copenhagen later that night. I was coming down to see Highway Child play the Orange Camp and was really looking forward to this show. This year I camped at the Media Camp which looked quite all right except for the long walk to the toilets and no baths? I had a beer and a Smirnoff Ice for the walk. Met Helene and some other girl who gave me a Gin’n’Tonic – thanx! I walked across the festival place and met JT and Stinne on the way, hurrah … Highway Child came bursting in on an old van and set up everything quite quick. There was a pretty decent crowd and soon the place was boogieing out in the sunset – damned cool. The band was in great form and gave a lot of their “classic” hits and long jams with Paw freaking out in soloing. After that I got pretty drunk and stoned and went back to crash in the tent. Wednesday July 1 8.10: Damned, I had hoped for some more sleep but it was already 50 degrees in my tent – at least it felt like so. Well, I didn’t have any clean clothes or anything but I had my credit card and then nothing can go wrong. So I went down to Aldi, the Gas tank and the Bakery and soon I had enough supplies to feed an army! I had some kind of nap in the Roskilde anlæg and then stumbled over to the Media Town to hang out. 13.10: Met up with the Svingninger dudes and dudettes. The sun was burning and it was darn hot. We just had about a million beers and new svingers kept dropping by. In the end my memory went lost and I apparently went to sleep a little after 23. I know because I had sent a lot of lame sms’es at that time. Thursday July 2 8.10: God damned, I woke up at exactly the same time and this time I was ripped apart. I had all my clothes on except for my underpants! Anyway, I got all my stuff together and hit the train for Copenhagen. I had to go home and get some stuff and … well, just had to get home. Anyway, the festival started today and the program stank pretty much. I would have liked to see Wolves in the Throne Room, but not in the afternoon, they should play late at night. So, home I went. Friday July 3 Around 14 I guess?: Came back and went directly down to Your Space and met up with JT. We went to Media Town and had a beer and a Slosh White Russian. Then we went to see Isis and they were pretty cool although they also should have played later at night. The sound was a bit messy at start but ended up being quite cool. Well, they do what they do, and not much new about that. After that I went to see Faith No More which was one of my top priorities. I blasted my poor head and met Magnus and Sonja and really enjoyed the concert. It was really cool to finally see my old heroes after so many years absence. Yes, I am a grunge whore and I do dig Faith No More. Around 18, maybe?: We met up with Scott and Nils but only shortly. I know I went to see Nick Cave and thought it was a bit boring in the beginning. I was a bit surprised about my feelings as I really love the man and his music. Guess it just wasn’t the day for me. After that I met up with Magnus and we hung out waiting for Mars Volta. 21.00: Mars Volta entered the stage after one of the most intriguing intros I have witnessed. Wow, you really have to deliver after such an entrance – and they did! This was probably the best show of the whole festival for me. They really did their stuff and made a great performance. The set wasn’t as scizoied as could be but had more focus on melody. I was so happy afterwards and just went on with the other guys to see Magnifico … 23.00: Maybe it was later, but the program says 23! We all hung at the seats for the show smoking joint and drinking exotic drinks … well, at least I did. Magnifico was a strange blend of Balkan, Ska and something else. They had a great energy and positive vibe. At the end I had to get something to eat and left the guys. 01.00: Finally! Nine Inch Nails hit the stage. This was also one of my top priorities. Strange though, that it was some damn old school music that was top notch this year?! Well, anyway, I had ended up all by myself with a joint that wouldn’t burn and so drunk I could hardly stand. I kept it going for about 45 min and really enjoyed Trent’s great musical work. Damned, that was a great band back in the day – and he could still pull it off – almost! But I had to give in and after a long difficult walk I found my tent and ripped the zipper in my sleeping bag apart – well, you know the deroute … Saturday July 4 I don’t really know when I woke up. I have been trying to copy the style of writing from Scott but I don’t really keep much track of what I do. But I do know that I started the day with an really excellent Brunch at the restaurant in the Media Town. I would rate that a 5/5 and after that my stomach had doubled in size. Then off to Your Space and hang with JT, Lars and later Stinne and Mette. Ahh, it was cool to hang out in the shade and just chill (can one chill in hot weather?). The Danish death metal band Dawn of Demise was playing just next to us at Pavilion. They were so old school and standard you wouldn’t notice them if it wasn’t because of the singer talking a lot of bull with a thick jysk accent between the songs – hilarious in some way. Anyway, … Trail of Dead was next but they were so last century that I left after maybe four songs. Around 15: Back at Pavilion Cancer Bats was on and they really surprised me quite a lot. Pretty old school hardcore/crossover/whatever stuff but with a great energy and the played damn well. I met Scott, Scott and Nils so please check his review for the correct time ;-) Around 19?: Hmm, I had taken a nap in the shade of my tent. I was now ready to kick some ass and drink some beers. We had a meet up at 22 to see Tony Allen. Tony fucking Allen?!? Well, the other guys said it was gonna be great, so I was game. I hung out at Media Town for an hour or so at VME where all the cool guys hang. 21.30 … I had a beer at the Gutter Island Bar and saw a few songs with Cut off Your Hands. It was some whining indiewank with a singer wanting to sound like Robert Smith – but the beer was fine … 21.50: We kind of met up at the exact same time for Tony Allen. Smoked some weed and then the show were on. It was an excellent choice! The band was so darn groovy you wouldn’t believe. Most people was dancing and having a good time. We, the old stoners, just stood there and stared at the band and only our minds were dancing. 24.30: Next up was Dungen and we had had something to eat and were just waiting for them to go on. Dungen is such a great band but also quite unpredictive. I guess I found the sound way too low at the beginning and therefore I wasn’t that blown away. But chemicals kicked in and it all ended really, really cool. Dungen for sure was one of the highlights of this festival! 03.00: Well, after a visit to the Jack Daniels bar, seeing some of Deadmau5 and eating Chicken Tacos it was finally time Dragontears. This was the show I had the highest expectations for. They had promised a spectacular show of visual and I guess the band was really well prepared. And what a great performance! It was a psychedelic blast. I felt every song lasted forever and was sucked deep into the visuals. The tent really freaked when they played the Spids Nøgenhat song “Hvad har du taget”. After that experience I felt so happy walking home in the early daylight. Sunday July 5 I woke at seven or something and dragged my air madress outside to sleep some more. After a week of intense sunshine and high temperatures it was suddenly cloudy and a bit chilly. Well, today my girlfriend Sally was gonna come down. So I dressed sharp and brushed my teeth and went off to meet her. Luckily she hadn’t had breakfast so we found a Tai place and had a 3/5 brunch. We just hung out and took a walk through the most of the festival place. Later we met some old punks called Lasse and Aino and listened to Aino complaining about the younger generation being narrow minded and that was quite cool since she’s still more punk than anyone else I know of – cool woman! 14.00: Pete Doherty! Yes, why not? We had to see the giraffe – and he actually turned out to be quite entertaining in his own lame way. The guy has got charm, no doubt about that! He can actually sing and he also plays decent guitar. So what’s more to say? Anyway, it was also in some way kind of a freak show – but enjoyable. I kid you not, I really liked the guy. 16.00 or thereabout: We popped in to see Hanggai. What a surprise!? At first I thought it was some kind of Samurai music but then I read the program (well, it sometimes comes useful) and read they were Mongolian. They made a strange and very “different” performance, but with a nice blend of traditional Mongolian folk and modern rock music. Nice surprise… 17.00: Met up with old friends and watched Eagles of Death Metal. Well, everyone who knows me also knows that QOTSA is my favorite band – or more precisely – Josh Homme is the musician I respect the most (well, after Neil Young and so on…). I have seen the band before and I really dig their records. But, god damn the sound was bad. The bass drum just ruined everything and the sound man had to be hanged by his balls in a tree. The sound really ruined my joy of the concert, but Sally really dug it and thought Jesse was the hell of a cool guy – hmm… 19.00: We went onto the front for Madness. This was one of the main acts for us both and we had been looking forward to this concert all day. And the band really delivered a superb performance. Sound was great, band was great and the vibe up front was great. They played all the hits and we felt like being 16 again. What a relief, since I couldn’t have bared Madness being old bastards not able to do what they have to do – but they did. Happy, happy, happy, we went to get something to eat. It was like we just had had it after Madness. I wanted to see Yeah Yeah Yeahs but the tent was crowding up and then we just left and said fuck off to boring whining Coldplay, packed my stuff and took the train back home. That was it – kind of – written the ”Scott way”. I will never do this again, I promise! Read the Scott story Roskilde Festival